Return Home
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next
 Post subject: Re: Toms Diet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Christoph,

you should remember, that while a healthy diet is good for your body and mind, on your path of growth a diet is only a tool. Therefore it should be treated as a tool, and not a miracle in itself. According to PMR rule set we must eat. I know some people who still drink coffee, do not follow any particular diet and have a good connection with LCS. They might have even a better connection with LCS, if they would stick to a healthy diet, quit smoking and drinking coffee.

Even a good thing can be turned into a new belief or attachment. Diet or any other tool should not become an obsession and you always have to be aware, that a communications with others is a main purpose why we here. Everything else could help us or become an unnecessary problem/belief/burden. Things like that should not guide you, but instead you should guide when and why you do this or that. Start you diet, but do not afraid to try different things. Eat to live - this is only a good guidance, when you start dieting.

Lena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hello friends :)

Not promoting pasta, just thought that this might help some people trying to avoid the "foggy mind" effect if they need to consume foods which normally rapidly increase glycemic index of the blood.

The Surprising Benefit Of Reheating Pasta! :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kos5i74n_1E

Is reheated pasta less fattening? :
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Many food-lovers worry about pasta making them fat. But could simply cooling and then reheating your meal make it better for you, asks Michael Mosley.There are few things that really surprise me about nutrition, but one of the experiments from the latest series of Trust Me, I'm a Doctor really did produce quite unexpected results.
You are probably familiar with the idea that pasta is a form of carbohydrate and like all carbohydrates it gets broken down in your guts and then absorbed as simple sugars, which in turn makes your blood glucose soar. In response to a surge in blood glucose our bodies produce a rush of the hormone insulin to get your blood glucose back down to normal as swiftly as possible, because persistently high levels of glucose in the blood are extremely unhealthy.

But what if you could change pasta or potatoes into a food that, to the body, acts much more like fibre? Well, it seems you can. Cooking pasta and then cooling it down changes the structure of the pasta, turning it into something that is called "resistant starch".

It's called "resistant starch" because once pasta, potatoes or any starchy food is cooked and cooled it becomes resistant to the normal enzymes in our gut that break carbohydrates down and releases glucose that then causes the familiar blood sugar surge.

So what did happen?

Well we were fairly confident the cold pasta would be more resistant than the stuff that had been freshly cooked and we were right. Just as expected, eating cold pasta led to a smaller spike in blood glucose and insulin than eating freshly boiled pasta had.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
Our leftovers could be healthier for us than the original meal”
Dr Chris van Tulleken

But then we found something that we really didn't expect - cooking, cooling and then reheating the pasta had an even more dramatic effect. Or, to be precise, an even smaller effect on blood glucose.

In fact, it reduced the rise in blood glucose by 50%.

This certainly suggests that reheating the pasta made it into an even more "resistant starch". It's an extraordinary result and one never measured before.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:56 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Before finding this thread, I had watched several interviews where Tom spoke about cutting sugar completely out of his diet. He didn't go into much detail so I figured cutting out added sugars would be enough to start feeling healthy and gaining mental clarity . For 4 weeks, I didn't eat anything with added sugar. My diet consisted of fresh/frozen vegetables, garbanzo beans, fresh/frozen fruit, eggs, cheese, nuts, stone wheat, rye bread, whole wheat pasta, organic pasta sauce, quinoa patties, salsa, hummus, olive oil, salads, organic dressings, and seeds. Every once in a while, I'd drink liquor (scotch, rye whiskey, vodka).

The only noticeable effect this diet had was that I felt a bit healthier and I lost a few pounds. I didn't notice any change in the way that I processed information, nor did I find it easier to calm my mind and achieve deeper/higher states of awareness. I continued to get cravings for unhealthy foods the entire month. Whenever I felt one of these cravings, I'd eat frozen mango chunks and that helped quite a bit.

I'm willing to give Tom's diet a shot. Do you think I'll notice much of a difference between my previous diet and Tom's?

Also, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. There is so much great information here.

Last edited by Sawtooth on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It took me three months to notice anything. Then one day I suddenly realized that I felt much clearer. The cravings may last as much as six months or more. Alcohol is metabolized like sugar so you really haven't been off all sugar. You have to check the labels on bread as only sprouted bread is really low in sugar. You didn't mention caffeine which is another thing that Tom recommends cutting out.

Meditation along with a clean diet is what calms the mind and gives you better access to the LCS.

But great job for starting. Let us know your progress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

daghda wrote: Breakfast and lunch consists of one half liter of macerated green leaves Spinach, Bok Choi, Lettuce and a couple of pieces of fruit. This can be fruit of choice however; if you want a smooth blend I highly suggest mango and banana, but if you do not mind ‘microbits’ then you can add Pear, Apple, Pineapple, a small piece of lemon with rind... To this you add a tablespoon of flax seeds – for the omega 3 - and 4 big chunks of ice, this is not something you want to drink warm..
Here's my first green smoothie. I used 5oz of baby spinach, one banana, one mango, 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed and instead of ice, I put in a few chunks of frozen pineapple. By adding some water and applying a bit of pressure from the top, I was able to blend it all up with my Oster blender. In the future, I'll use more greens since 5 oz is only 0.3 lbs. and the recommendation is to use 0.5 lbs. of dark greens.

Last edited by Sawtooth on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good job. Now the trick is to make it regularly. I make 10 one liter jugs at a time to get me through the week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ha ha, why did I immediately think of Tom's discussion on diet when I read this piece of satire on The Onion?

Man’s Bloodstream Enjoys Hour-Long Intermission Between Coffee, Alcohol Blitzes
http://www.theonion.com/articles/mans-b ... etw,38209/

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Watched this trailer this morning and was extremely surprised to see Tom!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:11 am 

In this interview from 2012, Tom claims that if you eat reasonably well as a vegan, your body will make all the B12 you need. I think earlier posts and threads on this forum has made it clear that this is not the case when it comes to B12. It's possible that he mixes up B12 with something else though, since he is uncertain about the name.

https://youtu.be/66roUb1YqNw?t=31m12s

transcripted by me:
And some will say «if you don’t eat meat you can’t get..what is it?..B12? (Evita Ochel: yes), in any other way, it’s only found in meat». Well, that’s nonsense. There’s a lot of things that you have in your body that you need that you don’t eat. How much adrenaline do you eat? How much insulin do you eat? Your body makes these things. You don’t have to eat everything that the body uses. Doesn't have to come in through your mouth. Your body is a marvellous chemical factory that takes raw ingredients and produces the things the body needs. There are lots of vegans out there who never touch an animal product, and they’re not all suffering from B12 deficiency. Actually if they eat reasonably well as vegans, and don’t eat mainly pasta and lower quality food like that, none of them are suffering from B12 deficiency. Well, how’s that possible? They don’t eat any B12? Well, they make all of it they need. It’s not necessary. So much stuff, I mean, all your hormones, all of the stuff that regulates your body, all these biochemicals, you don’t need any of those. They’re all made.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hey, Eat To Live is an awesome book, and well worth reading, but the diet as he lays it out is pretty darn hard to follow for most people. I tried following it several years ago, and made it about a month before I was craving other foods (probably because I wasn't getting enough calories).

The Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall is a great alternative, and/or starting place if you're not yet ready to go to the extreme of the Eat To Live type diet, and still has many of the same benefits (and is vegan :) ). I really recommend checking it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 am 
Normal User
Normal User

I remember an interview with Tom on Youtube, where he talks about the making of his smoothies and soups?
Can anyone recall which one it was?

Many thanks.

San

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:49 am 
Curator
Curator

I suggest that anyone concerned about this, vitamin B12, and attempting any kind of Vegan type diet should be among them, should look at this page: https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/ ... itamin-b12 What every Vegan should know about vitamin B12.

Don't quibble about what Tom did or did not know, did or did not confuse with something else. The consequences of error are too severe to take chances. Just take a B12 supplement, which comes from micro organisms, and the problem is solved simply, cheaply and cleanly.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:54 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi Everybody!

I have some questions about the diet, so maybe anybody can help me.
I quit sugar for about 8 weeks and since this month i quit completely everything which contains wheats plus i don't eat white rice and potatoes anymore. i am vegan for some years and so with this month i quit any sort of animal product, too.

My diet is a mix of green smoothies, fruits, veggies and a lot of oat flakes. Since i do not drink milk anymore, i make my own almond milk and sweeten it up with some dates. For the last two weeks i tried to hold on Tom's diet as good as i can, but a few questions raised.

First about the veggie stew: Isn't it the case that veggies lose their vitamins and nutriants the longer you boil them? i know to some veggies it's not the case. Or to all in your list? For my first two veggie stews i tried like you wrote: bring it to boil and simmering it for one hour. The veggies were very smooth and i ate a very big bowl of it. But after about 2 hoers i was getting hungry again. Now i bring it to boil and only simmer it for 15 minutes. Now i eat the same portion, but i feel sate longer, maybe because the stomach has more to do with the veggies. But now the water in the soup tastes like water and so i spice it with a ready mixed spice (with pepper and chilli and a lot more in it) and a bit of salt, which brings me to the next question.

I know Tom quit any salt too, but isn't it true that you have to take a little amount of it to stay healthy? Nobody here wrote about it, so it's interesting for me.

And the last question is how important is it for not breaking with my sugar abstinence to consistent quit any bread or something which contains wheat? As example: i'm going to a restaurant and order a salad. They serve it with a piece of bread. Can i eat it once in a month? I know insuline gets high from it, but i want to hear it from anybodey else. To quit sugar means to quit any wheat product too, isn't it?

Thanks for your time

Bruno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't think Tom ever said he quit salt completely. And you do need some salt in your diet.

Basically you need to experiment what is best for your body chemistry. I can't eat bread at all because it sends me down the path of other carbs. I joke that bread is my gateway drug. But if you can get away with it once a month then eat it. In general bread is full of sugar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am 
Curator
Curator

Remember that there is a considerable distinction between bread and whole grains or coarsely ground whole grains. Bread is largely very fine ground white or brown unbleached wheat flour so it is digested rapidly as basically sugar like, a carbohydrate. Then there is the substantial sugar in most any bread. The sugar must be there to raise the bread by the action of yeast producing carbon dioxide, which needs the sugar to do so. So count bread like sugar.

Whole grain, even ground some, is nothing like white flour and does not act like sugar. It takes effort and time on the part of your digestive system to digest it so there is no sugar high.

You would probably find that your vegetables were more satisfying, lasted longer without becoming hungry again, if you did not blend them to fluidity but ate them as a salad. Takes more time to eat but also more time to digest for basically the same reason so it maintains bulk in your stomach. There are good oils known like olive oil, but also consider coconut oil which is medium and short chain fatty acids, not long chain which leads to problems and thus provides an alternate pathway as ketones for brain cell nourishment instead of just glucose.

Regarding using dates for sweetening. Date sugar is sugar and they are high in it. Perhaps consider using stevia extract for sweetening. In pure form without additives to bulk it up to approximate sugar volume, it only takes 1/64 tsp to equal 1 teaspoon. A little goes a long way. Expensive, but goes a very long way and has no carbohydrate effects.

Ted

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next