Return Home
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was wondering if there was a good thread on here to discuss how to develop intuition?

I am someone whose very left brain dominant. I recently read a book called The Master and His emissary (book summary at bottom) and it talks about how if the left brain is ovrdeveloped it can lead to an exclusive mentality. I've meditateed for many years, practiced yoga, like spending time in nature but I still feel I haven't well integrated my intuition and so a lot of times my intellect sputters around and no creative solutions are found in my daily life. I am very happy but I have noticed over the years there's a lack of intuition in finding a career, not very good socially with the opposite sex, and my concentration at times isn't great to the point I have been diagnosed with ADHD. However, lately I've noticed doing things with my non-dominant hand such as writing, alternate nose breathing, juggling, playing soccer seem to alleviate these symptoms to some extend. I've even thought of playing the violin again, I'm 33 and stopped in my mid teens.

Anyways, Tom has always emphasized integrating intuition with the intellect and I was curious as to what are some strategies/examples of how people have done this?

https://wisewords.blog/book-summaries/m ... %20it%20is

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tom Campbell: Intellectual vs Intuitive Process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2yYgl ... omCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Sainbury I'll check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello, My perspective: On the topic of integrating the right brain, it takes reconnecting with your emotions and deep inner sense of being. The problem is, when the intellect/left brain/ego/personality has run dominant too long, it creates a strong structure, a habit of patterns/behaviors/thoughts that overtakes you and your interface with reality and becomes the standard mode of operation. As your consciousness interfaces through this left brain structure, you conflate who you are with your personality structure and patterns of thought/behavior that are also strengthened by your physical brain which also keeps you in the same chemical state. Who you are and how you operate is basically taken over by this rogue program of patterns and thought structures, even as soon as you wake up and think your first thought you're reconnecting with your thought patterns and the program boots up. It takes meditation and reflection to raise awareness to it and notice yourself as separate from what your thoughts are engaged in. If you're hard stuck, psychedelics can work towards this breakthrough and have you reconnect more with your emotions.

The right brain is you directly processing and feeling reality while the left brain interface is you filtering the data coming in and structuring it and packaging it into ideas and logic. There's not necessarily a specific "thing" you have to do to reconnect with it - it's more breaking down the dominant left brain interface(the filter) because the right brain interface is the more natural way of being. As far as I know, some people disagree on the science between the left/right brain dichotomy and others may use the terminology to differently but I'm appealing to the idea of the dichotomy as its used metaphorically in MBT.
However, lately I've noticed doing things with my non-dominant hand such as writing, alternate nose breathing, juggling, playing soccer seem to alleviate these symptoms to some extend
It's assumed they alleviate because those actions keep your mind preoccupied. In a right brain dominant/integrated state, you are constantly in the "flow state" with reality while the thoughts you're stuck juggling in your mind, with all sorts of worries, expectations, ideas, projections cause the disruption with your self.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Human+ thanks for detailing all this while reading it I really related to it. When you said this:

"There's not necessarily a specific "thing" you have to do to reconnect with it - it's more breaking down the dominant left brain interface(the filter) because the right brain interface is the more natural way of being."

How would you say you know when the filter has come on? Because we still think, we still have creative thoughts or practical thoughts or intuitive thoughts or joyful thoughts.

"it creates a strong structure, a habit of patterns/behaviors/thoughts that overtakes you and your interface with reality and becomes the standard mode of operation"

Again here we have to eat or sleep or at times use our cell phones ect. So I feel myself as the consciousness/awareness that is aware of my five senses and thoughts and emotions but I can't tell when the strong structure comes on? And when it does should I do anything about it except simply watch it?

I understand everything you say and I hav eno doubt and feel myself as awareness but I have hard time discriminating the filler conditioning we could say from just normal operation. I guess is there any advice that can be given regarding this?

"If you're hard stuck, psychedelics can work towards this breakthrough and have you reconnect more with your emotions."

I haven't tried psychedelics but it has been suggested to me more than once so maybe I should try them but I just assumed it would be another high (the life force raises) similar to taking a cold shower or smoking weedor a walk in nature which is probably a bias of mine. It's clear I am consciousness and aware of everything and that everything is made out of awareness even. At times I not I feel way more alive than at other times from a life force perspective. I do have emotions and a lot of them and yet I seem very left brain dominant. How do you know when both hemispheres are well integrated?

"It takes meditation and reflection to raise awareness to it and notice yourself as separate from what your thoughts are engaged in."

Similar to what I wrote before. I feel I am awareness, I am always aware of whatever content pops up in experience or in my mind and body but it seems there's more to it than that to raise awareness...

Anyways if there's something that might be helpful and are willing to share that would be awesome but I appreciate you relating so well to my message.

I haven't listened to the intuition video Sainbury posted but I put it on my mp3 and will listen to it soon.

Human+ wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:32 pm Hello, My perspective: On the topic of integrating the right brain, it takes reconnecting with your emotions and deep inner sense of being. The problem is, when the intellect/left brain/ego/personality has run dominant too long, it creates a strong structure, a habit of patterns/behaviors/thoughts that overtakes you and your interface with reality and becomes the standard mode of operation. As your consciousness interfaces through this left brain structure, you conflate who you are with your personality structure and patterns of thought/behavior that are also strengthened by your physical brain which also keeps you in the same chemical state. Who you are and how you operate is basically taken over by this rogue program of patterns and thought structures, even as soon as you wake up and think your first thought you're reconnecting with your thought patterns and the program boots up. It takes meditation and reflection to raise awareness to it and notice yourself as separate from what your thoughts are engaged in. If you're hard stuck, psychedelics can work towards this breakthrough and have you reconnect more with your emotions.

The right brain is you directly processing and feeling reality while the left brain interface is you filtering the data coming in and structuring it and packaging it into ideas and logic. There's not necessarily a specific "thing" you have to do to reconnect with it - it's more breaking down the dominant left brain interface(the filter) because the right brain interface is the more natural way of being. As far as I know, some people disagree on the science between the left/right brain dichotomy and others may use the terminology to differently but I'm appealing to the idea of the dichotomy as its used metaphorically in MBT.
However, lately I've noticed doing things with my non-dominant hand such as writing, alternate nose breathing, juggling, playing soccer seem to alleviate these symptoms to some extend
It's assumed they alleviate because those actions keep your mind preoccupied. In a right brain dominant/integrated state, you are constantly in the "flow state" with reality while the thoughts you're stuck juggling in your mind, with all sorts of worries, expectations, ideas, projections cause the disruption with your self.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You defined yourself as a left brained dominant person. A left brain person engages with patterns of operating that make them left brained. Raising awareness takes noticing the patterns of operating. Being aware of the patterns means not getting lost in them(being able to free yourself through separation). Essentially.

How do you know when both hemispheres are well integrated?
In this context, we can say it's when the left brain is more the servant than the master, when it's not trying to be the sole arbiter of truth and existence but when it's used as a tool in conjunction with the right brain to give voice to awareness. In other ways, it can mean not living in your mind and being able to connect with your emotions and a deeper sense of being.