college

basshendrix43

college

Post by basshendrix43 »

I wasn't quite sure how to ask Tom or any other expert in the field, so I'm asking here. I'm a senior in high school and have always been interested in a theoretical sciences and mathmatics, philosophy, and, well, trying to make life enjoyable. I've never done particularly well in most math and science classes because it always seems like the work is done by rote, without a real understanding of what is actually being done. Naturally, I was very interested to find that other people are working on explaining existance with a clear mind. I've read the first book, tried not to jump to conclusions or expectations, and am reading the second. I simply want to know if there are any specific colleges in which I could study this kind of thing. If there isn't, what majors are afford in which I could study a conbination of conceptual math/science, philosophy, psychology, sociology, ect... that this trilogy is trying to interconnect. Thanks for any suggestions.

-kevin
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcjr »

Kevin,

You ask a very hard question. I do not know of any colleges that have a course of study already defined that cuts across all the disciplines you mention. However, there a few schools scattered about that allow an individual to design their own degree program (within limits of course). The down side is that some graduate schools and potential employers may devalue such a degree simply because it is not the norm and because it produces more educational breadth than depth. While grad schools are usually looking for depth, employers with people oriented (as opposed to technical) positions may be looking for breadth.

Since Physics and math are more difficult to self-teach, becoming a physics major who studies philosophy and psychology on the side is probably more workable than the other way around. (I single out physics here because it is at the root of all science & engineering - more basic and fundamental - less specialized by application). The good news: once you get out of High school, math and science become much less rote and thus much more fun.

The sort of knowledge and understanding you are experiencing reading MBT is not something learned in college, but something learned through experience. Any major at any good college that teaches you how to think for yourself, and how to think methodically, logically and analytically, will be able to set you on a course to become a Scientist/explorer in the Big Picture.

Tom

Return to “What's Next?”