reducing entropy

merkaba33

reducing entropy

Post by merkaba33 »

I've had some extradorinary experiences. However, the goal seems to be spiritual growth(or entropy reduction). I'm not sure that my experiences, in and of themselves, have produce spiritual advancement. They've definitely expanded "my big toe" by adding to my personal data of what is possible. I'm concerned as to how I go about applying this(or any experience) to my personal growth. I've seen that I've grown in some ways; from the person I was to the person I am today. However, this growth has happened without my focus being on growth; it's been unconscious. How can I bring growth(entropy reduction) to a conscious level? Is this possible? Would this accelerate the rate of growth(making it conscious)? Any thoughts?

Will
Namaste
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcjr »

Will,

Because Growth is directed from the inside out, it usually "just happens" on the way to somewhere else. That is why the journey is typically more important than the destination. Focus on learning and let the internalization that turns into personal growth happen on its own. Now, the intellect and conscious awareness can accelerate learning by paying attention to, and understanding, what is important. By practicing the application of good intent and eliminating ego. Personal growth is generally a slow cumulative process. Have no expectations, live your existence and make your free will choices to the best of your ability, and keep your eye on the Big Picture -- success will follow.

Tom
Jassmine

I think the word ego gets in the way

Post by Jassmine »

What is the difference between ego and personality. I understand giving up your story so you don't have to live up to it. I also understand I am none of things that are on the outside is that what you are calling ego. I am not my job, my name, my accomplishments, my outside strivings. I am spirit having a human experience. How does this fit with the therory of the book?
Jassmine is the publisher of Jassmine's Journal, one ezine, nine lists, target your advertising today, grow spiritually with us. subscribe today
http://www.motherearthpublishing.com
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcjr »

"I am spirit having a human experience. How does this fit with the therory of the book?"

This statement fits perfectly with the theory of the book. Ego is perhaps used here a little differently than what you are used to. Ego is generated when the spirit/consciousness having the apparently physical human experience is ignorant of its true identity and purpose, and is of lower quality (has much to learn, understand and needs to evolve) -- it thus expresses fear, needs, wants, demands, expectations, desire, greed, in its attachment to, and manipulation of, the virtual physical reality. Ego is the sense of I manipulating the virtual physical reality to assuage its fear, and to secure and maintain its wants, needs, and desires -- it gives the physical more importance and exclusivity than it is due. Ego drives the action, when fear is the motivator. Ego and fear are the antithesis of compassion and love. Ego is the consciousness lost in a virtual physical reality manipulating the 10,000 things in a way to make itself feel better (less fearful). I hope this helps.
Jeremie

Post by Jeremie »

Growing beyond ego would be one way of increasing the quality of our consciousness. But, Tom, what would be the overall definition of "high quality consciousness"? What kinds of directions are directions toward the raising of quality of consciousness?

It may be that the word "consciousness" itself is not quite ideal; in the usual usage of the word it would seem that consciousness is consciousness; what matters is what you are conscious of. That usage, though is closer to "awareness". Consciousness, "existence" or whatever we choose to call it, forms structure through self relational complexity, and the efficient negentropic (negentropy is the opposite of entropy) integration of that structure through knowledge, wisdom and skillfullness is power, love, etc. Would this be in line with what you are calling high quality consciousness?

So, would quality of consciousness really boil down to such things as skillfullness, knowledge, wisdom, power (what we call personal power, not power over others), and the capacity for love?

Jeremy
Jeremie

Post by Jeremie »

Ah, I think I already found your answer when you were speaking on this board about animal consciousness. You say:

"Now, though all souls are chips off the same consciousness block, they are not all the same in their awareness, capacity, functionality, or entropy (quality)."

So, I guess that answers my question!

Jeremy
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcjr »

Jeremy,

Yes, I do believe you've got it.

" ... skillfulness, knowledge, wisdom, power (what we call personal power, not power over others), and the capacity for love?"

These are all interrelated attributes of low entropy, high quality consciousness as is the lack of ego (fear, needs, desires, wants, expectations).

Tom C
Stroker
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Stroker »

I am still clarifying my idea of ego as it applies to my own. When we plan things we'd like to achieve for the future, but accept things as they manifest for us, is it ego that causes us to seek more stable circumstance? A dependable car that is a joy to drive is an example of a goal rather than a need (to me). The explanation in MBT is clear as to definition, but application is a complex thing. When other people try to take advantage of our compassion, is it ego to limit our contribution to their needs? Especially when it is people you care about, it seems to be a juggling act. I suppose that we must decide if selfless help will increase the probability that the other will grow profitably. Help, like energy or money, should be used wisely.

The struggle to understand my own ego is part of personal growth, I understand. Some choices don't have clear probability patterns or several with too many random variables. I suppose we should do our best to interpret what we feel from our NPMR guides and follow the path as it unfolds. There are so many probable futures that I can see, it gets a bit confusing. I guess what I'm looking for is when does service to others by complicating own PMR experience become unacceptable. Would that be when it restricts our own growth, and if so, is a more complex personal challenge good or bad? How do we predict when a gamble to help another have an opportunity to reduce entropy is worth the financial or emotional loss we experience? I, like most of us here have modest needs, but don't wish to give up the freedom of action earned by years of bootstrapping.

Forgive my rambling my friends. Its the way my brain works. I have a lot of experience at the non verbal level, and these concepts and patterns are hard to frame in words. I appreciate any input from you all, and Tom, if you choose to look, I have nothing to hide and nothing to lose but my illusions.
always, John
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Roland »

--Quote Tom C:
"I am spirit having a human experience. How does this fit with the therory of the book?"

This statement fits perfectly with the theory of the book. Ego is perhaps used here a little differently than what you are used to. Ego is generated when the spirit/consciousness having the apparently physical human experience is ignorant of its true identity and purpose, and is of lower quality (has much to learn, understand and needs to evolve) -- it thus expresses fear, needs, wants, demands, expectations, desire, greed, in its attachment to, and manipulation of, the virtual physical reality. Ego is the sense of I manipulating the virtual physical reality to assuage its fear, and to secure and maintain its wants, needs, and desires -- it gives the physical more importance and exclusivity than it is due. Ego drives the action, when fear is the motivator. Ego and fear are the antithesis of compassion and love. Ego is the consciousness lost in a virtual physical reality manipulating the 10,000 things in a way to make itself feel better (less fearful). I hope this helps.
--End Quote

So, then, is spiritual growth (reducing entropy) designed to occur, in OS, as a result our struggle to "awaken" from this PMR and realise our true nature?

I am using the above language in the context of numerous religious concepts, from the mystery schools, to Buddhism, to Christianity.

I realise that our growth occurs in everyday manners, and I'm not meaning to imply that it occurs only when we "awaken." I selected this expression because, as you've described "ego" it almost seems like we, as individuated consciousness, have been thrown into the mud pit of PMR, sink, struggle to right ourselves and awaken again, thereby producing growth, or further reduction in entropy.
-
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcjr »

Stroker: I suppose that we must decide if selfless help will increase the probability that the other will grow profitably. Help, like energy or money, should be used wisely.

Tom: That's it, you've got the concept. You try to keep the whole of you and your interactions optimized toward minimizing entropy. Think of you and everybody and everything you interact with as making up a system. Your goal is to be in such a way as to optimize the collective consciousness of the system (which includes you.). Because you are the only one you can change (by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps), most of your effort should be directed to lowering your own entropy. You can only offer others opportunity, not solutions. Let your intuition be your guide and your being be a light that brightens the way for all.

Roland: So, then, is spiritual growth (reducing entropy) designed to occur, in OS, as a result our struggle to "awaken" from this PMR and realize our true nature?

Tom: Yes, in OS and in the system as a whole. That statement certainly is one viable way to express it, Though I would add some clarifying comments. Short, pithy statements can be interpreted and misinterpreted many ways. That’s the main problem with a Big TOE expressed in poetical/metaphysical/mystical form.

Realizing (in the sense of becoming aware of) our true nature is not enough. No doubt, one must grow a lot to understand the nature of the reality they are in -- to see themselves as an integral part of The One greater reality, but that is just the beginning of one's growth -- the launch after a long running start, not the endpoint of having arrived. There is always room for additional growth. Most of us awaken, and then awaken again, and again, and...

To “realize“ it in the sense of becoming one, merging with it -- now that makes a stronger statement if one has the experience/understanding to actually comprehend what that entails. Few do.

Your understanding of ego and growth seems well founded

Tom C

Return to “Spiritual & personal growth”