Return Home
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Intuition and logic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:16 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

I've posted previously regarding balancing my logical analysis tendencies with more subjective and intuitive decision making. My life-long training wants to call anything other than logical analysis a guess or a hunch, often designed to accommodate a hidden belief. Any suggestions on how to be more open to the intuitive side of ourselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tom T,

Providing a logical process for stepping beyond logical process is a very challenging thing to produce. I think what you are asking can best be answered, in at least the first pass, by a better understanding of just what is this thing called intuition. The concept of intuition is a glom several different things, thus the connection between you and your intuition can take on different forms with multiple purposes and approaches.

First one needs to appreciate the limitations of little picture logic and the way intuition appears to a fish. What follows is not everything that can be said to answer your question but does get us off to a good start by offering a bigger view of intuition that will answer a large chunk of your original question. It will also answer you secondary question: Fish?

Logic appears to be more accurate and straightforward than intuition but both can and do generate fallacies for most people most of the time. One can force logic to give any answer you wish (or at lest appear to do so) by manipulating the underlying assumptions (both explicit and implicit). Thus logical results can be deceiving if the assumptions are in error, not comprehensive, or not thoroughly understood and appreciated — if the assumptions have anything to do with fear, ego, or beliefs your results are toast. On the other hand, if you try to force intuition all you get is you talking to the sock puppet pulled over your right hand. Likewise, depending on the wisdom and omniscience of your sock puppet is a high risk undertaking if you have fear, ego, or beliefs.

As ego and beliefs disappear, the Big Picture becomes more focused, real, and immediate. You live in it, not just think about it or ponder it. You are one with it, not just an individual fish swimming in a local current with some vague awareness of a Big Picture ocean. As the entropy of your consciousness decreases (ego and beliefs disappear) Things/relationships/connections/causal chains become clearer — understanding expands — and the fish thinks you have this amazing, dependable, well developed intuition because of all the things you seem to know and understand and appreciate without appearing to use logical analysis to derive the answers from little picture facts about the local current or even the bigger ocean. The fish attributes your larger wisdom and knowledge to “bolt out of the blue“ sudden paranormal messages from some mysterious/mystical all knowing ocean going intuition -- when in fact you are just a logical, skeptical oceanographer with a bigger view. Because your vision sees beyond the limited logic of the fish, you appear to have the ability to access a mystical knowledgebase called intuition.

So most likely you are already doing the most important thing you can do to connect more clearly with your intuition — which is, (pick the phrase that sounds most logical): lowering the entropy of your consciousness, working on your spiritual growth, getting rid of fear, ego, and belief , or snuggling up to the Big Dude.

Tom C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:48 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Thanks for the great reply. I am beginning to appreciate how difficult it is to describe something we do not know with our five senses.

I know someone who is the big picture fish you describe and between that and MBT I have come to realize that I'm the little picture fish employing logical analysis with little picture facts. I also tend to find my ego at the center of a lot that I do and think which reinforces the logic. Just being aware of my little picture fact focus helps me towards being the big picture fish I know I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tom T

Good observation! Trying to express the concept of a nonphysical larger consciousness based reality using only words that were designed to describe physically sensed 3D things and events presents a very difficult challenge. How can you describe to someone something that they have never directly experienced? E.g., how do you describe the color red to a person born blind? See my latest post under the “Wisdom and Big Truth“ discussion topic for another perspective on how having to use PMR 3D/sense based words leads us into conceptual traps. Jeez, If it weren't for our cultural beliefs, which embody the limitations generated by these conceptual blocks and traps, Uncle Tom could have written MBT on a postcard — and it would have been more understandable than the almost 900 pages one has to grind through now.

Because Big Picture facts are not logically derivable from little picture facts, they (like intuition) appear illogical/irrational from the viewpoint of PMR. Take heart — as the Big Picture facts you are learning sink in and become a natural part of your reality, they will appear as wisdom and unfaltering intuition to your PMR playmates. Remember how wise, intuitive, and all knowing your parents and grandparents appeared to be when you were five years old? “Too soon old, too late smart“ — oh well, that’s just how the game is played.

Tom C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

For those of us who tend towards scientific or logical analysis, belief in our models and in our basic assumptions can be comforting, compelling, and difficult to see beyond. One activity we seem to be masters of is in coming up with clever ways of describing (or justifying) our ideas. We build a logical structure to prop our descriptions up, then forget that the structure was only a tool for talking about ideas and begin to force other ideas to fit the structure. However, this isn't all we forget; we also forget about the origin of the idea.

Intuition has many parallels with perception. Science and logic can help improve our perception, and allow us to show our work by providing a way of talking about things which is useful to ourselves and others. Back to the structure metaphor; given that science and logic are tools to improve perception, they are not fundamental, as we know them, to perception; they are at least one step removed from the thing in itself. A tool for talking.

Over time, I've come to view this way of talking about things as, simply, a "way of talking about things". It's good enough for my understanding now and may represent the best I can do at the moment, but isn't true as a thing in itself. With this in mind, sometimes I can see that intuition is always there, hiding behind the science and logic that I've placed in front of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent observation, and nicely put, MojiDoji. Good to have you back at the MBT forum.

Tom