Call Coast to Coast AM

Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

Well, Jim Elvidge is going to be on Coast to Coast AM, again, on Wed., 25 March. I think that if they can give Elvidge a 2nd go round, then they should give Tom equal billing. What do you think? Right. So email C2C and let them know you want to hear Tom interviewed by Noory again.

Here's some contact info: Tell them how much you love the Elvidge interview (he does do good interviews) and how much you want to hear that Tom Campbell guy again -- the one who was with Robert Monroe at his Monroe Institute. That should kick some memory cells.
Last edited by Roland on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by bette »

Hi Roland
Could you please direct me to the Elvidge interview so I can see if I love it? I could write and say I love Tom truthfully at this time though.
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

bette wrote:Hi Roland
Could you please direct me to the Elvidge interview so I can see if I love it? I could write and say I love Tom truthfully at this time though.
Love
Bette
Only if you can time travel forward. The interview is this coming Wed. A note on Elvidge and, of course, a most humble opinion, is that he does a really good interview, but his book didn't quite measure up to what he seems to hold in his knowledge. Somehow he didn't get on paper what appears to be residing in his head, to put it another way. However, and this is a big however, if you're just coming at all of this from the beginning, and you don't have time to read and contemplate Tom's 800+ pp., then Elvidge has likely written a good book for you. That's why I say it's my most humble opinion. There were only two things that gave me pause in Tom's work and those were his digital/information systems model of consciousness, and the idea that this is all virtual. I was familiar with pieces of all of those two, but was quite taken off guard when he leveled the digital/virtual reality as more than just model, but reality itself. I had to chew on that one a while. So Elvidge's book was written for me where I might have been 12 yrs. ago. For most people it's likely an easy intro to all of this. And again, he's does a good interview, or he did the first time around.
User avatar
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by bette »

I've got it. Thanks. I'll have to look at Elvidge info.
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
kamarling
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by kamarling »

Roland, where are you now with the digital information thing? I ask because I'm having a bit of a tussle with that too. I work with computers every day so I know what digital information is. It is a switch: on or off, yes or no, black or white. As a waveofrm, it is a square wave ... (ideally) there is no transition time between on and off.

Now -intuitively - it seems to me that reality is more analogue in nature. A sine wave - with gradual transition between states. Shades of gray, if you will. That is not to say that information cannot be derived from a sine wave -- of course it can. But the whole digital/computer/virtual reality thing strikes me as being too convenient in our present times. I mean: Newton's universe was clockwork because that was the prevailing high technology of his era. In the future we might have some other - as yet undreamed of - technology which might be an even better metaphor.

Nevertheless, I believe that Tom is in good company: didn't David Bohm have a similar interpretation?
User avatar
Shinoki
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:24 am
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Shinoki »

Sure will if Tom doesn't mind.
User avatar
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by bette »

kamarling wrote:Nevertheless, I believe that Tom is in good company: didn't David Bohm have a similar interpretation?
I am currently trying to read a book I have had for years called, "The Ending of Time" by J. Krishnamurti and D. Bohm. It is really hard to follow because it is. lol It is several conversations between them and at time others. I've only been able to read a few pages.
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
twcjr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1285
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by twcjr »

Shinoki,

I think it is a good idea -- Please do.

Tom
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

kamarling,

I think that the best approach is to take some fundamentals in mind first. Forgive me for making a list, but it may help to delineate the components of the idea.
  • 1. The map is not the territory, and the analogy is not the thing itself. A digital computer system in merely a similar concept, not a true analog.
    2. If you think about it, for consciousness to be digital does not mean that you have 1s and 0s, as in open or closed logic gates, or signal and no signal. To have digital consciousness merely means that there are discrete bits of data forming consciousness. When you think about it, could a self-learning, self-organising, evolving, adaptive system of consciousness be any other way? You must think in a non physical material reality fashion. The PMR framework only confuses the model.
    3. Consciousness itself is composed of discrete, organised, bits of information, both within individual units, and on the whole. Each reality, whether it's PMR, NPMR, or a reality in another System, is just another stream of information channeled through individuated units of consciousness.
When you get the entire model down, as it's presented by Tom, you may realise that you've seen bits and pieces, or the whole body of ideas scattered across several scientific disciplines and Eastern religions - or so it does appear to me. I see it represented in part in quantum physics, information systems science, cybernetics, philosophy of mind, Buddhism, Hinduism and Yoga. And also, when you study many NPMR phenomena, you'll realise, I think, that suddenly, some of those odd little things that you couldn't make sense of now make sense in this model.

Hope this helps some.
User avatar
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by bette »

What would stop, if anything, a FWAU not currently participating in PMR from creating and being a presence on, say, this digital discussion board?
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
kamarling
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by kamarling »

Roland wrote:kamarling,

  • 1. The map is not the territory, and the analogy is not the thing itself. A digital computer system in merely a similar concept, not a true analog.
    2. If you think about it, for consciousness to be digital does not mean that you have 1s and 0s, as in open or closed logic gates, or signal and no signal. ...
... I see it represented in part in quantum physics, information systems science, cybernetics, philosophy of mind, Buddhism, Hinduism and Yoga.

Hope this helps some.
Thanks Roland. I think I'm comfortable with your Point 1 but, otherwise, sometimes my imagination wanders into a fog and I need to wait until that clears.

Although I have thus far only listened to the London lecture and browsed this forum, I am convinced that Tom's worldview is broadly similar to my own which, in turn, has been greatly influenced by many of those other philosophies that you list. I don't, however, have an academic background and sometimes struggle with the language herein. For example, my eyes glaze over when faced with an abundance of acronyms. I know this is common practice - especially in academic circles - but I think that words have a particular power and that reducing them to initials removes some of that power. Nevertheless, I'm sure that I'll get used to the acronyms and even allow one or two to slip into my vocabulary from time to time :)
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

kamarling,

So it appears that you haven't read the book yet. The London lecture, btw, was very good, and it was really an outstanding overview of the book. But there is a tiny terminology gap that will exist until you've had a chance to read the book. Regarding the terms I used in my reply, they are as follows:
  • a. PMR - Physical Material Reality. This means everything in the known, physical universe.
    b. NPMR - Non Physical Material Reality. This means everything outside our PMR and within our System. Think in terms of set theory, or just draw circles within circles, with PMR on the inner most area, then NPMR.
    c. System, or Our System - This means a circle than encloses it all.
Now, if memory serves the above concepts were shown in some of the slides of the London Lecture, which might, or might not have been viewable to you depending on the quality of the video you watched.

Within Our System are many PMRs, but there is only one NPMR with Our System. There are, however other Systems as well with their own PMRs therein.

I hope this is sufficient to explain the acronyms. Are you able to locate the book for yourself?
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

bette wrote:What would stop, if anything, a FWAU not currently participating in PMR from creating and being a presence on, say, this digital discussion board?
Love
Bette
What was FWAU?
User avatar
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by bette »

Free Will Awareness Unit, it is Tom's term. Individuated unit of consciousness, same thing to me.
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
Roland
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Call Coast to Coast AM

Post by Roland »

bette wrote:Free Will Awareness Unit, it is Tom's term. Individuated unit of consciousness, same thing to me.
Love
Bette
Good crimey!
Post Reply

Return to “Tom's Interviews, Lectures, and Workshops”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests