Return Home
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not make an initial post to start a new thread on this forum once you advance beyond the beginner level of posts. This forum is an experiment with the purpose of encouraging the participation of those who have so far only hung out in the background and looked over the bulletin board. It is intended to be a place where things are orderly for beginners without the free interaction of the main board. Post only with care for the recognition that we are welcoming a new member and not arguing with a fellow old timer. Your cooperation is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi everyone, I'm 18 and got Toms book recently. I have no beliefs and never have since I was 13 but always had an open mind. My main goal is to get my mind working properly and be able to OBE on command.

About 2 weeks ago I started meditating for 20 minutes twice a day. In the first few days I managed to get into an altered state twice and really liked it. But ever since then it feels like I've been getting nowhere and is becoming VERY VERY boring. I say a mantra over in my head, thoughts go away for a few seconds then come back (Rinse and repeat) - this goes on for the full 20-30 minutes. It's been like this for at least 10 days, I know tom says wait 3 months, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere.

I tried ah lum bar etc.... but that doesn't get rid of thoughts at all. I tried sehr-ring, but it's the same. And I tried 7 words in a row over and over; this is what gets rid of thoughts for a few seconds, but I do a lot of thinking to say them all in row and keeps my mind very active (This has never brought me close to an altered state) - should I do this one?

Tom says get at least 36 words; does that mean say 36 words in a row over and over?

I don't have any expectations and don't get frustrated. However, today I had a bit of frustration after I got really really really bored. It's so boring that I would love to give up; but I really want to be able to meditate so I won't. Just getting worried that I will go through all this boredom for nothing. I HATE boredom and avoid it at nearly all costs (Not meditation)

I've also tried doing it with binaural beats with no effect.

I haven't had any sugar in over a year. Unfortunately I only found out about preservatives/non-organic crap recently so it's only been 2 weeks without preservatives and I have to wait 2 months before I go fully organic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, and welcome to Tom's MBT discussion forum, a fine place to be. I'd say you may want to try something different, no words, try a visual, or something. I'm not an expert meditate person at all, but it seems like you are stuck on using a mantra.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

ok, thanks I'll try some visuals for a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wish I was of your awareness when I was your age...things would have been much easier if I had some knowledge of such things.

This is just Simba's advice, from one who has OOBE'd a time or two-Get inside your head to the very core of your existence and keep tumbling down, be a minimalist in who and what you are.Break it down to the essence..keep stepping back and stepping back until you are that single point of awareness,the point of nothingness, it will not be easy...and you will have to be honest and fearless.It may be a long road but don't give up....a faint heart never won a fair lady.

Maybe focus more on who you are in your day to day and life instead of what you ingest for now.

When I was activated I was in terrible shape in terms of diet....had no idea what was going on. I still have dietary issues but yet the evoltion persists.

When I was given the opportunity to explore it had nothing to do with anything but my evolution, because of my fear I wasted a lot of time.I wish more for you, you are hope.Don't get in a hurry, in a way, we are all counting on you.....

Sincerely,
The best of luck to you

Last edited by Simba on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 pm 

Have you checked out the http://Lucidology.com videos? They give a method of developing OBE skill little by little. The guy recommends using a special timer you can download, that gets you used to waking up in sleep paralysis over and over. That's something I still want to work more on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 am 
Curator
Curator

h2Bh68N

Not to be a smart ass, but I quote you with excerpts from your initial post with added emphasis:

"Hi everyone, I'm 18 and got Toms book recently. . . . About 2 weeks ago I started meditating for 20 minutes twice a day. . . . But ever since then it feels like I've been getting nowhere and is becoming VERY VERY boring. . . . thoughts go away for a few seconds then come back . . . I know tom says wait 3 months, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere."

Translation: I'm 18 and despite knowing better, I have no patience and am easily bored with the routine necessary for successful meditation.

There is the barrier that you must break through in order to become successful at meditation and enter the world that this can open up for you. It is that simple. You can continue to try new options, but that will be counterproductive if you do not overcome the real problem: yourself, easy boredom and your impatience.

One meditates in order to open up the world of inner silence, peace and timelessness within which your true access to your own mind and consciousness resides. Every aspect of which has your impatience pitted against it. Whether it takes 3 months, 3 years or 3 decades, you must release all the transient thoughts that pass through your mind, relentlessly but without impatience, if you wish to reach this goal. Keep this in mind as a background guide to your future efforts.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let go of the mantras, you have no reason to stick with them if it doesn't work.

I suggest using either visuals, kinaesthetics or just using nothing.

When I meditate I don't use any particular technique, I just silence the mind. I still haven't done meditation regularly, but I know that technique is not necessary.

It shouldn't be boring, see it as an opportunity to know your own consciousness better, be positive. See the possibilities and go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

h2Bh68N,

If you're getting bored to this degree, why not pause for a while? You will not make progress while you associate the activity (meditation) you are trying to master with a negative state of mind (boredom). Give it a rest while you read the book properly, if you haven't already done so, and go back to practice when you've absorbed ("at the being level") at least some of the concepts presented there. Shift your focus onto the theory while your boredom-track dissipates a little, then try the practical again, and things may seem different.

It's a gradual, evolving process. Tom says in the book that growth is made in a slow, plodding way - this applies to the meditation, too. Didn't he also say somewhere on here that becoming adept at NPMR 'access' could take anything from 9 months to 19 years? There is no single 'end-point', every time you make the attempt is a success in itself, it's just a bit different each time.

Don't lose heart!

Arthur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Simba wrote:I wish I was of your awareness when I was your age...things would have been much easier if I had some knowledge of such things.

This is just Simba's advice, from one who has OOBE'd a time or two-Get inside your head to the very core of your existence and keep tumbling down, be a minimalist in who and what you are.Break it down to the essence..keep stepping back and stepping back until you are that single point of awareness,the point of nothingness, it will not be easy...and you will have to be honest and fearless.It may be a long road but don't give up....a faint heart never won a fair lady.

Maybe focus more on who you are in your day to day and life instead of what you ingest for now.

When I was activated I was in terrible shape in terms of diet....had no idea what was going on. I still have dietary issues but yet the evoltion persists.

When I was given the opportunity to explore it had nothing to do with anything but my evolution, because of my fear I wasted a lot of time.I wish more for you, you are hope.Don't get in a hurry, in a way, we are all counting on you.....

Sincerely,
The best of luck to you
Thanks
Neil.Laird wrote:Have you checked out the <a class="linkification-ext" href="http ... gy.com</a> videos? They give a method of developing OBE skill little by little. The guy recommends using a special timer you can download, that gets you used to waking up in sleep paralysis over and over. That's something I still want to work more on.
Yea, I bought lucidology 102 - really great information. I havn't been able to do it yet due to sleeping problems; but hopefully I will soon.
Ted Vollers wrote:h2Bh68N

Not to be a smart ass, but I quote you with excerpts from your initial post with added emphasis:

"Hi everyone, I'm 18 and got Toms book recently. . . . About 2 weeks ago I started meditating for 20 minutes twice a day. . . . But ever since then it feels like I've been getting nowhere and is becoming VERY VERY boring. . . . thoughts go away for a few seconds then come back . . . I know tom says wait 3 months, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere."

Translation: I'm 18 and despite knowing better, I have no patience and am easily bored with the routine necessary for successful meditation.

There is the barrier that you must break through in order to become successful at meditation and enter the world that this can open up for you. It is that simple. You can continue to try new options, but that will be counterproductive if you do not overcome the real problem: yourself, easy boredom and your impatience.

One meditates in order to open up the world of inner silence, peace and timelessness within which your true access to your own mind and consciousness resides. Every aspect of which has your impatience pitted against it. Whether it takes 3 months, 3 years or 3 decades, you must release all the transient thoughts that pass through your mind, relentlessly but without impatience, if you wish to reach this goal. Keep this in mind as a background guide to your future efforts.

Ted
Sort of; this is more accurate:
I get bored easily during meditation and would like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if what I'm doing sounds right.

I have the patience to meditate regularly, but afterwards I have negative thoughts about it. I always go in with a blank mindset. I don't think boredom during meditation practice can be avoided unless the practice turns into a successfull meditation. (I don't think of being bored during most of it, it just is)

Thanks
Arthur wrote:h2Bh68N,
If you're getting bored to this degree, why not pause for a while? You will not make progress while you associate the activity (meditation) you are trying to master with a negative state of mind (boredom). Give it a rest while you read the book properly, if you haven't already done so, and go back to practice when you've absorbed ("at the being level") at least some of the concepts presented there. Shift your focus onto the theory while your boredom-track dissipates a little, then try the practical again, and things may seem different.

It's a gradual, evolving process. Tom says in the book that growth is made in a slow, plodding way - this applies to the meditation, too. Didn't he also say somewhere on here that becoming adept at NPMR 'access' could take anything from 9 months to 19 years? There is no single 'end-point', every time you make the attempt is a success in itself, it's just a bit different each time.

Don't lose heart!

Arthur
Yea, I might do, thanks.

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your advice everyone, it is appreciated.

I had a good meditation today using a mantra. I tried viuals and stuff but I'm definately an audio person.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:24 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Things are going well now, I'm able to push thoughts out quite long and I keep getting weird feelings in my head. It's also fun and I like to keep going, I just came out of a 45 minute meditation and my mind feels really relaxed. I'm so pleased.

-I'm using the ah lum bar dee dum... saying.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Cool, thank you for the report.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Much like yourself, I was trying to meditate regularly to produce OOBE's when I was 17. (I'm 32 now.) At the time my intent was to escape the boredom of our waking reality with something I expected (bad) to be extremely exciting and stimulating, when that stimulation exists in endless quantity, and by the second, in this PMR. I didn't see that then, I wanted a drug-like experience without the use of a drug, per say -- to escape all the things about life I didn't seem to enjoy or agree with. (depression.)

15 years later with truth defining OOBE's under my belt, and countless other experiences, I still can't OOBE on command. It happens when I need it, when my mind is clear, when I'm giving more than I'm getting, when I'm in a very "positive" mental state. I've come to believe you need to reach a certain level of maturity, intelligence, wisdom, and overall inner-peace to "get out" in the first place, even more to gain further control. (but that's just my experience and opinion, others seem to have mantra's, audio tapes, and special buttons they can push or something :)

For me, OOBE's come and go similar to "coincidental" or "unexpected" events in PMR. (perhaps a result of my underdevelopment). They hold just as much significance, importance, and learning potential to me as any other physical-reality event. Amazing coincidences and unexpected surprises happen all the time in PMR, just not everyday, and rarely for extremely unhappy and negative individuals, those who avoid the signs or have narrow awareness. In my reality, OOBE's are no different than the chance encounter that might land your first well-paying job, or the string of events that brought you to this website.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:16 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Brian wrote:Much like yourself, I was trying to meditate regularly to produce OOBE's when I was 17. (I'm 32 now.) At the time my intent was to escape the boredom of our waking reality with something I expected (bad) to be extremely exciting and stimulating, when that stimulation exists in endless quantity, and by the second, in this PMR. I didn't see that then, I wanted a drug-like experience without the use of a drug, per say -- to escape all the things about life I didn't seem to enjoy or agree with. (depression.)

15 years later with truth defining OOBE's under my belt, and countless other experiences, I still can't OOBE on command. It happens when I need it, when my mind is clear, when I'm giving more than I'm getting, when I'm in a very "positive" mental state. I've come to believe you need to reach a certain level of maturity, intelligence, wisdom, and overall inner-peace to "get out" in the first place, even more to gain further control. (but that's just my experience and opinion, others seem to have mantra's, audio tapes, and special buttons they can push or something :)

For me, OOBE's come and go similar to "coincidental" or "unexpected" events in PMR. (perhaps a result of my underdevelopment). They hold just as much significance, importance, and learning potential to me as any other physical-reality event. Amazing coincidences and unexpected surprises happen all the time in PMR, just not everyday, and rarely for extremely unhappy and negative individuals, those who avoid the signs or have narrow awareness. In my reality, OOBE's are no different than the chance encounter that might land your first well-paying job, or the string of events that brought you to this website.
Cool, good read, thanks.

I see a lot of coincidences and have interesting lucid dreams.

I've been keeping up with the meditation, I'm better than I was when I first started but don't have good meditations regularly. I think a large part of my unsuccessful meditations are to do with my poor health (Which will hopefully get fixed in a few months when I can afford a consultation with a C.H.E.K practitioner and proper food)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 am 
Normal User
Normal User

I posted this on a different thread but I thought it would be fitting for this thread also. Here is Dr. Charles Tart speaking of meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fajlmzs ... PL&index=6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vexx1978 wrote:I posted this on a different thread but I thought it would be fitting for this thread also. Here is Dr. Charles Tart speaking of meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fajlmzs ... PL&index=6
Cool talk :)

I just finished watching it, he is a wise guy.