Return Home
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We've got such an interesting bunch of folks here... I'm just wondering what is on everyone's summer reading list! Maybe I'll get some ideas for further reading, too.

I've got a GIANT stack of books my night stand - hopefully I'll get through them all...

1. MY BIG TOE (second read)
2. Medical Herbalism: The Science Principles and Practices Of Herbal Medicine - David Hoffmann FNIMH AH
3.Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos - H. P. Lovecraft
4. The Craft & Art of Bamboo, Revised & Updated: 30 Eco-Friendly Projects to Make for Home & Garden
5. Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives - Michael Newton
6. The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power - Jeff Sharlet
7. John Dies at the End - David Wong
8. Shadow & Claw- Gene Wolfe
9. Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux - Nicholas Black Elk and John G. Neihardt

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Sunshine.

I don't have long term books reading but I have the following which I read now

1. The Secret History of Dreaming - Robert Moss
2. Multidimensional Man - Jurgen Ziewe
3. The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universe - Rudy von Bitter Rucker
4. Seth Speaks - Jane Roberts
5. Leaving the body - Scott D. Rogo
6. Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramhansa Yogananda

I want to read in the future all of the books of Jane Roberts - the Seth series in special. I've read Seth Speaks, The Nature of Personal Reality, An Unknown Reality vol.1, but now that I have a bigger understanding of how things work I want to start re-reading from the beginning. I just finished My Big Toe.

Now that I look upon this list it kinda makes sense that they are my summer reading list. I always read multiple books at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ingerul9 wrote:Hi Sunshine.

I don't have long term books reading but I have the following which I read now

1. The Secret History of Dreaming - Robert Moss
2. Multidimensional Man - Jurgen Ziewe
3. The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universe - Rudy von Bitter Rucker
4. Seth Speaks - Jane Roberts
5. Leaving the body - Scott D. Rogo
6. Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramhansa Yogananda
Thanks for the reply! All of these titles sound really interesting. I keep seeing the Seth series mentioned on this forum - I'm going to have to check it out. (I skimmed the first couple of chapters on the internet a while back, but it sounds like it deserves more attention)

I read multiple books at the same time too. I've read the first few pages of most of the books on my list... which is why they are in a big stack by the bed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What is fascinating about Seth series is about how they were written. Robert Butts her husband when transcribing has written also a major part of what they were doing in those times (a recount of days passed between channeling sessions and how it related to their paranormal view on reality).

This made the books so much more interesting than ordinary channeling book. Because it showed the discrepancies between how it would sound in theory and the difference it comes when done in physical reality. When I read these books I almost felt that I was there with them going day by day, session by session listening to their questions and problems. As a quick sneak peak I understand that the last book of Seth is The way toward health - the book was written while Jane got sick at the time and eventually died.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I love books. Hey ingerul9, have you gotten to the part in the Yogi book concerning trying to catch a train? If/when you do can you relate the story to me, please? Thank you in advance.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Now I have to read both the Seth books, and the Yogi book. Amazon.com is going to eat my paycheck...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have a pretty good library of Seth and Lobsang Rampa. I might visit those this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

bette wrote:I love books. Hey ingerul9, have you gotten to the part in the Yogi book concerning trying to catch a train? If/when you do can you relate the story to me, please? Thank you in advance.
Love
Bette
When I read the whole book I'll try to remember about your request. At the moment I'm in the beginning and he is really young and trying to catch a train to go to Himalayas. I don't know if this is the passage that you want. As soon as I finish the book I'll tell you in more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you, wheels spinning is what I am looking for in the train story.

I buy most of my books at www.half.com, owned by ebay now with no bidding.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Looks like some good reads in these lists. Normally my list would be long, but I'm forcing myself do less reading and more exploring. The last chapter of MBT really hit home with me in terms of how I tend to bounce from book to book looking for answers as apposed to exploring and finding my own. Anyway, I do have a few remote viewing books in line as I venture into that topic in attempt to expand my awareness.

1. Remote Viewing Secrets - Joseph McMoneagle (currently reading)
2. Limitless Mind - Russell Targ
3. Do You See What I See? - Russell Targ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When it comes to channeled material, the Jane Roberts material is still the best there is...You'll get some absolutely amazing insights
reading those books. Some of the material gets pretty deep though and takes an incredible amount of concentration and focus and re-reads
to completely grasp the concepts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've always enjoyed Ruth Montgomery.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Whoops double post:

PLEASE DELETE

Last edited by Sunshine on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I started writing this in the "What about Crystals" thread, then thought I should move it here...
Sainbury wrote:
I've been trying to read Seth Speaks for a long time. It has been easier in the last few years. I think MBT explains it better in a more modern way. I'll be interested to know what you think of the book.
[/quote]

I started reading it and got through the first couple of chapters. I'm finding it to be a real enjoyable read so far! I'm using what Bette described as "the Spaghetti Test". Throwing concepts found in Seth at MBT, and seeing what sticks.

When you look at Seth concepts as metaphor designed for human understanding contemporary to the culture of the times, there's much there I find compatible MBT. So far..

Even if Seth Speaks was a novel, I think I would enjoy it. The concepts and the character of Seth are intriguing to say the least. A conscious being older than the earth? What is the mind of such a being like? Why does he want to write a book?

I suppose the compelling nature of such questions are one element behind the success of books like Interview with a Vampire. An immortal being over 200 years old? What is the mind of such a being like? Why does he want to be interviewed?

Anyway, I've got a lot more to read.

BTW- I've all but abandoned Destiny of Souls. Don't know why, but I just found it increasingly boring. Lots of focus on what jewelry the "Council of Elders" like to wear. Seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:57 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Just finished an interesting book called Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Its a cyber-hacker novel/thriller with a lot of gratuitous sex and violence.

Otherwise it covers binary reality, Sumerian language roots and gods, the Metaverse,
which I would call NPMR, and a lot of interesting programmer stuff.

It was interesting how I learned ab out it. I was catching up on the series "Covert Affairs" and two of the main characters were talking about hacking and one said something like "you don't have to explain it to me, I read Snow Crash" which got me searching to see if there was such a book.

I just Kindled it.

But, I read it for entertainment, not education. But, some interesting concepts are explored there.

Rate it 3 out of 5.

rob