Be careful while construction is still going on.

Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Be careful while construction is still going on.

Post by Ted Vollers »

To All,

Don't trip over the drop cloths and paint cans. Things are still being settled into. We still need to do the update on the BB version. Lots of detail work. We have all had a lot of unexpected problems come up. Even me that had the simple and easy job. Your favorite pictures will be hung back on the walls soon. The day crew that turned into the night crew is having a siesta and will soon be back at work. Even the posts that were made after the last backup was done are here, thanks to ZatoriFrank and his prescience gained from his own past board experience.

Let me know if there are any discrepancies that I have not spotted. Tom has been traveling so has not been available for some of the decisions. Various suggestions and offers of help have been made and while not ignored, had to be set aside for Tom's input and the fact that there were already too many balls being juggled in the air and too many surprises. Plans that were more complete and orderly and spread over some time were condensed into the time available on an emergency basis. At least there were no casualties, just lost sleep and time. I expect we will have the various site addresses streamlined together very soon.

Enjoy the board again. If you don't see someone show up, drop them an e-mail with a link to the new site. It is showing up on search engines already so hopefully no one will be lost for long.

Ted
ZatoriFrank
Normal User
Normal User

Re: Be careful while construction is still going on.

Post by ZatoriFrank »

Hi Ted

Yeah if you can fix this problem (You are not authorised to define a signature.)

BTW what version is this board?

Frank
Jeanne212
Power Poster
Power Poster
Location: South Carolina currently, home state- Michigan, also have lived in Florida

Post by Jeanne212 »

Ted wrote:
Let me know if there are any discrepancies that I have not spotted.
Hi Ted,

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by discrepancies, but I noticed that our previous links to other threads within the site are no longer working. (I guess that's because the threads are no longer at the same location.)

Not complaining, just responding to your request for discrepancies.

Links to outside locations are working fine.

Jeanne
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Frank and Jeanne,

I will bring these problems to the attention of those setting up the board again. Frank, this problem was not limited to you as the module that deals with signatures has not yet been installed for some reason. This is version 3.0.6 and will be upgraded to the latest soon, overnight on some night. It has seemed that in the past when versions are upgraded, there is a soon to follow bug fix applied, as happened this time as I remember, and we were trying to avoid multiple installs for a change. This should be settled down by now and was one of the planned changes that are being rushed ahead by circumstances. Jeanne, the problem you mentioned is also something that I cannot fix. It has occurred before and it will be fixed as it has in the past, eventually as things settle down.

Ted
ZatoriFrank
Normal User
Normal User

Post by ZatoriFrank »

Hi Ted

Sounds wired to me that this signature thing has any thing to do with a module
cause in the last version its something you enable in the ACP (Administration Control Panel)
I just installed phpBB 3.0.7-PL1
on http://zatori.net/phpBB3/

And BTW the e-mail function "notification" only works 1/3 times
I guess its also a ACP thing you guys need to look in to.

If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Frank
Jeanne212
Power Poster
Power Poster
Location: South Carolina currently, home state- Michigan, also have lived in Florida

Post by Jeanne212 »

Hi Ted,

I've noticed the site won't keep me logged in. I have to sign in each time even though I've told it to keep me signed in.

Again, not complaining. Just notifying in case you didn't know as you requested.

No need to respond. I know you're busy.

Jeanne
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bette »

Jeanne212 wrote:Hi Ted,

I've noticed the site won't keep me logged in. I have to sign in each time even though I've told it to keep me signed in.

Again, not complaining. Just notifying in case you didn't know as you requested.

No need to respond. I know you're busy.

Jeanne
This was true of me with the last board, and is still true here. It isn't that big a deal as it leaves my info there.
Love
Bette
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

For Frank and others concerned about signatures:

I had checked already and this is authorized/turned on in the Administration Control Panel. The board returns a notice that the module has not been installed. The present problem is part of the implementation and installation, not the administration, of the board. It will be fixed sometime reasonably soon. Your signatures, like your avatars, will reappear automatically when available.

I have been hearing from those putting together the new site and BB set up and all of the problems that they are having. Give them a little slack and it will come together. The functionality of the board is there and ready for use. You can access the site as my-big-toe.com, as most of us were doing, again and a great deal has been done under difficult circumstances. MyBigTOE.com also gets you there.

Ted
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Jeanne,

I don't know whether the old board set up allowed you to stay logged in based on your setting it so or not. It had a place to set this, but I don't know if it worked. I never tried this as I have concerns about leaving an open log in to any BB or site. I am concerned about whether this makes the site vulnerable to access by someone else so I never had it set this way. If I forget to log out which I try to not do, the board automatically does this for me and I prefer it that way. This also makes the record inaccurate about who is on line if you have a log in continuously showing. Think about this and see if it is a real problem to you. No one else has ever complained about this. You can set your browser, in any of the recent browser versions, to remember this log in information for you so all you have to do is click on a button to log in. Perhaps some other users can comment and someone really knowledgeable can tell us if a continuous log in represents a vulnerability for the site. I will ask Tom about his preference also as it will distort simultaneous user counts.

Once real information and the best practice is available, the thing to do will be to either fix this function or stop it from showing as an option on the board.

Ted
Jeanne212
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeanne212 »

Ted,

It's not that I stay logged in. On the log in page there is a box that I checked that says "log me in automatically each time I visit". For awhile that wasn't happening. Every time I visited the site I had to physically enter my name and password.

The good news is that this time I was logged in automatically so the feature seems to be working again.

Jeanne
AeroLynda123
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AeroLynda123 »

Frank, you are a wonderful addition to this board! Your presence here is most appreciated.

Ted, you are an amazing moderator and right-hand man to Tom. Thank you for all that you do.
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Now that was an unexpected transition to a new and unexpected format. Made my eyes pop and I can't yet manage to see what is where any more.

I just took a break to visit the administration control panel and see that we are now on the latest version of the BB software. That explains all the new look and the brighter screen. This will take some getting used to. At least they did not change the ACP layout. I found it hard enough to navigate as it was.

Ted
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bette »

Test icles
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
Jeanne212
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeanne212 »

And I was just starting to get used to the old system!!!

Well, learning new things is supposed to keep the brain young. :)

Jeanne
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Lynda,

You are welcome. And thank you for your kind words.

I am pleased to see that your father probably achieved and what so many wish for in having a loving family there to see him off.

Take care of your family members who might not be as ready to see the good of this transition.

Ted

Return to “Wud I Say? (The place for free form ad lib communication.)”