Return Home
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:55 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: The Second Time Around
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Having finished MBT about two weeks ago, I've done the obvious. I've applied some of the theoretical framework to my exploration of PSI. I tried to incorporate some of the more spiritual messages into my daily life and mindset. I've reflected on some of the belief traps I've managed to shed over the years, I some that still require shedding.

Since there is no other urgent reading on my plate, I also started re-reading it. Tom points out that the book was developed in such a way that a re-read is probably required to round out the picture. I don't necessarily disagree, I understand the dilemma he had in constructing a logical flow given the topics.

With that said, I have re-read maybe 150 pgs or so. I have to say, it's like reading a completely different book. Knowing where things are headed, puts a great deal of improved perspective around his personal background, as well as the remaining topics in Book 1. I presume that pattern will play out for the rest of the re-read process.

Just sharing thoughts if anyone else was wondering if a re-read was in order. Time permitting, I would say go for it.

You see, the universe IS well designed. It is designed to have loop holes that have a low risk to reward relationship. With risk comes potential reward. And Mother Nature has known this for a long time. Why would anyone second guess her? It's by design.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

For me the goal of the first pass was to get it done

I believe my absorbtion was ten fold on the second pass

You are an amazing asset to have around this place

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just started reading it for the third time, and yet again it feels like I'm reading a different book. I'm able to relate more and more of my new experiences to what he describes. The relationships and connections are "clicking" at even higher level. I think I've seen Ted say that he's read MBT 5 or 6 times, which doesn't surprise me.

Who knows, I may read the book throughout the rest of my life - as long as it remains profitable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think I've had a good head start by watching every video lecture and listening to every audio (interview) of Tom's that I could possibly get my eyes and ears on.

While, it's not quite reading through MBT... it has given me the insight into some basic ideas which have seriously helped me while delving into MBT. I'm currently almost through book one, and I think I would be on the road to being lost if it wasn't for the youtube videos and many radio interviews. LoL

Great support material.

I can't wait to get through the first reading of MBT... and onto my second and maybe third reading! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The subject of this post would be a good title for a book. ;)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:44 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am into my second thorough reading as well, however, I have skimmed quite a bit since first reading the book, and listen, watch every presentation by Tom that I come across. Since first reading MBT, I have been really trying to pay attention to incoming 'data'...(at work, in my personal life, in 'dreams', etc.) and trying to stay focused on the fact that "only consciousness is fundamental" all else is virtual. And acknowledge that what I am experiencing is being provided for me to grow, grow up, to become love. In doing this, I am finding life to be quite pleasant and the larger consciousness system to be quite playful -- anyone else having this experience? For example, when I know I placed my hairbrush in the basket in the bathroom, and I go to grab it and it's not there, I simply remind the universe of the rules....that the brush has to be rendered because I used it and I know I placed it in the basket...and low and behold, when I turn back around, there it is! I have been having quite a few experiences like this since reading my MBT, and I am and have been assuming these are mini affirmations I am on the right track. Experiences like these are also providing a feeling that the system is incredibly joyful, loving and fun....which I had not experienced to this extend prior to reading MBT! Just curious if anyone can relate to any of this :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, I can, and my daughter Katie is also experiencing such things. Isn't this fun. :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:01 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Betty! Yes it is...and how wonderful to share this with your daughter... :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Betty! Yes it is...and how wonderful to share this with your daughter... :-)
Thank you, and yes it is. She used to think I was a nut. ;)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

I, also, am about 100 pages into my second reading of "My Big TOE".

I read it, the first time, during last summer (2010). I think -- though I pretty much understood the words (I am a retired mechanical engineer) -- that I probably "really got" only abut 10% of what Tom is trying to convey.

This time, with the prior "brain-priming", I find myself "catching on" to the concepts much better. Maybe I will comprehend 25% this reading. One can hope.

This book has probably had more effect on my life than any other book I have ever read.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 pm 
Curator
Curator

Quaero,

I also am a retired mechanical engineer, although still doing a little side work when available in this economy. Despite a lot of priming during my lifetime, it took some long exchanges with Tom back when he had more time, and several re-readings to understand it. Ever heard the joke where the guy says "Sex muns ago I cudnt eben speel enginer ant nou I are wun." It takes time. Now you get the board and all of us. Tom drops in when he can. There is a lot of information on the board. Since it includes things that Tom added and did not put into the books, beginners level that they are, this is the advanced course, rough as it is. We are working on making it better all the time, but like entropy reduction, it only moves so fast. Ask questions or search for answers. Look for some reference material at the bottom of the index page when logged in. And welcome.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:22 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Ted,

Thank you for the information, advice and the welcome.

I look forward to learning a lot from all you folks here on the forum.

I'm currently taking a brief break from "My Big TOE" to read the book, "Seth Speaks" by Jane Roberts.

In "My Big TOE", Tom said that in the early days at The Monroe Institute they decided to use the model of Reality given by the entity, "Seth" in the book, "Seth Speaks", as a starting point. Then they planned to "prove/disprove/add-to" that basic model through their own experiences in NPMR at TMI.

So, I am currently reading "Seth Speaks" and will soon be back to "My Big TOE".

So far, "Seth Speaks" is quite interesting and jibes with a lot of what I think I already know.

Quaero

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Integrating substantially different or new concepts into one's world view generally isn't a linear process at all.

The metaphor of putting together a picture puzzle without the guiding picture on the box comes to mind... at first there is just a heap of pieces and the idea that it is all it can somehow be integrated. One picks p this piece, that piece, studies it, sets it down again, returning to it later when viewing a second piece recalls something about the first. We don't pick up a piece and know precisely where it goes in the picture, or grab pieces directly and start to plug them in methodically from top to bottom.

With really radically different concepts or ideas, to carry the metaphor further, it turns out that puzzle picture is something like "A black cow and a crow talking in the night"

All that to say that the meatier books only start to really flower for the reader on the second, third, fourth visits.

-Montana

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quaero - I think Seth Speaks is a lot harder than MBT to understand. Although it took me a long time to get through MBT the first time, the material is much more logically expressed and organized. I think the metaphors that Seth uses with Jane are very confusing a lot of time. Tom has said in interviews that he tried to make MBT an updated version of Seth Speaks.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Sainbury,

Having progressed a ways into "Seth Speaks", I think I agree with you. This book is an extremely slow read for me, as I keep stopping, saying "Wha'd he say?" to myself -- and rereading the same material.

I'm gonna continue though, hoping that if I pack my conscious mind with what Seth said, my subconscious will sort it all out later.

It is also interesting to hear Tom's quote that you posted -- that he tried to make "My Big Toe" an updated version of Seth speaks. I had not heard that quote before.

Montana, I also appeciate your comments -- as I find that multiple re-readings of MBT are to be expected and maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought.

You folks are way encouraging over having to struggle with this alone. Thanks for your comments/advice.

Quaero