Return Home
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted Vollers wrote:RBM,

Another interesting way to show the same data as for the L-Curve mentioned earlier. It actually conceals the extreme situation at the top since it stops at the average for 1% of the population. If it had further broken down the 1% into fractions of 1%, the curve would have been seen to be even steeper, more extreme, at the high end.

Ted
I can see why it wasn't done for this presentation as the premise was based on one body being one percent. The author did make a focused comment about how many columns he had to use just to express the 'one percent guy'.

I went looking for an email to throw your observation in as a suggestion, but have yet to find one.

I did find a Facebook link, so used that, though I'm not real familiar with the workings of that web application.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

http://thefixisin.net/

Above is a link to Brian Tuohy's website, he is an investigative sports journalist and has a "conspiracy" theory that the entirety of professional sports leagues fix their own games in order to produce the most excitement and highest revenue, which is filtered to every owner in the league through owner profit shares. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL need more / the most exciting games and match ups so that the most viewers watch. Then TV networks (the league's largest source of income, 6 billon dollar TV deals) profit from the sale of advertisements.

MOST-WATCHED PROGRAMS IN U.S. TELEVISION HISTORY
1. 111.3 Million – Super Bowl XLVI, NBC
2. 111.0 Million – Super Bowl XLV, Fox
3. 108.4 Million — Super Bowl XLVII, CBS
4. 106.5 Million – Super Bowl XLIV, CBS
5. 106.0 Million – M.A.S.H. Finale, CBS
6. 98.7 Million – Super Bowl XLIII, NBC

If you notice from the above list football is obviously one of the most popular things in the country. It's almost blasphemy to question the integrity of the games, or the league.

-----

Brian's writing and work is completely ignored all the major networks and sports networks, even the small ones or websites won't touch him because no one wants to kill the golden goose.

I feel this is important for informed American's because if there are any sports fans here (I certainly am one, being a sports fan is almost a requirement in Boston) it would do them well to know the integrity of the leagues they invest time and money into. I remember Tom talking once about competition , paraphrasing it was something like : If it's just about seeing who can run faster or jump higher that's alright, but when you start developing attitudes like destroy the enemy , or hating opposing teams & fans (soccer hooligans come to mind) then there is a problem.

-----

Stay informed!

Best,
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 pm 
Curator
Curator

This is basically the same kind of thinking and action that I point out in regards to the manipulation of society by the über rich. Bread and circuses, just like the Roman days to keep the masses entertained. There was just this kind of situation regarding the various favorites among the gladiators and charioteers. By promoting team conflicts and slogans in the political arena and much partisan advertising paid for by wealthy contributors and corporations (now), voters are kept in turmoil and functioning at a low information level in real terms.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I lost interest in spectator sports at a young age, but hockey is somewhat of a religion among my family. I agree with all the above statements, however, an alternate way to look at it is that to the extent that we are living in a virtual synthetic environment, which includes the purpose of having fun, then any so called silly pasttime might actually have deeper meaning than so called important stuff.

Like, lets say you go to Disneyworld, and there is some sort of operational problem, like, lets say the plumbing is not working in one of the washrooms. Do you focus on having fun with family according to the design, or do you focus on complaining about the restrooms to management?

I would say that that which is capable of creating a universe and life itself, is not greatly impressed with our operationally oriented work activities, and that work is mostly to keep us busy.

On the other hand, to some extent I am sympathetic to Gaddafi's policy, which was to outlaw spectator sports and require everyone to PLAY sports. Same thing with music or art, better to play guitar badly than listen to a virtuoso, better to draw badly, than to be a art afficionado spectator, if one wishes to have the fullest incarnative experience.

Politics as well is sports for nerds, and similarly, better to participate than to be limited to disengaged complaining from the sidelines, notwithstanding the limitations of personal decision space and doing best with what we have to work with.

There is a high entropy and a low entropy way of going about all such endevours. High entropy is focused on the separative negative-competitive element, rather than the interactive, social, skill, ethics aspects. Low entropy can enjoy being defeated if the opponent plays well and fair.

Its like when my dad retired and took up golf, he was way over invested in winning, and he did not fully appreciate that golf is about interaction, exercise, networking, demonstration and development of skill, the beer after.

Last edited by kroeran on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:29 am 
Curator
Curator

This:
Adam wrote:Above is a link to Brian Tuohy's website, he is an investigative sports journalist and has a "conspiracy" theory that the entirety of professional sports leagues fix their own games in order to produce the most excitement and highest revenue, which is filtered to every owner in the league through owner profit shares. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL need more / the most exciting games and match ups so that the most viewers watch. Then TV networks (the league's largest source of income, 6 billon dollar TV deals) profit from the sale of advertisements.
Is in no way to be equated to this:
Randy wrote:Like, lets say you go to Disneyworld, and there is some sort of operational problem, like, lets say the plumbing is not working in one of the washrooms. Do you focus on having fun with family according to the design, or do you focus on complaining about the restrooms to management?
Please have a realistic perspective here. Everyone knows that the Disney characters are people in costumes. Everyone thinks that the winners in sports contests really won and that it was not manipulated to increase advertising income and betting income. It is often pertinent to look at what the mass media will not consider to find the truth.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted Vollers wrote: Please have a realistic perspective here. Everyone knows that the Disney characters are people in costumes. Everyone thinks that the winners in sports contests really won and that it was not manipulated to increase advertising income and betting income. It is often pertinent to look at what the mass media will not consider to find the truth.

Ted
yes, but that is my point. Earth characters (FWAUs) ARE "people" (IOUCs) in costumes. Its ALL theatre with management making tweeks as things unfold.

Its possible that the higher zen is to focus on interaction, learning and enjoyment, which are fundamental, and not take the PMR operational aspects overly seriously. Nevertheless, I respect the point you are making and would likely make it myself if you were not offering it. Just want to bounce this thought experiment around.

I am not sure that absolute truth and outing all harmless nominal delusion is the highest form of expression of the art of living. I suspect more that competent living involves just the right amount of profitable artful delusion, which may extend to the harmless self deception of accepting professional wrestling as transparent.

That being said, voting does matter so politics as sport does have consequences. What I struggle with is to what extent does the system expects and requires attention to this area of life, for a lucid person, or does the system feed in the resources and tweeks necessary to keep the overall environment at just the right balance of struggle and peace.

Is it possible that as long as we focus on interactive empathy in our direct life experience, politics will take care of itself? Is it possible that caring deeply about anything other than our interactions of significance, is an unprofitable distraction? Is HOW we go about working for political justice, far more important than our direct operational intention?

For example, would it not be more effective to work for the enemy, however we define this, but work with interactive love, if we wished to be most effective at reforming the planetary system?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 am 
Curator
Curator

Randy wrote:What I struggle with is to what extent does the system expects and requires attention to this area of life, for a lucid person, or does the system feed in the resources and tweaks necessary to keep the overall environment at just the right balance of struggle and peace.
This can be figured out for ourselves, based upon what Tom specifically has to say and what we can observe for ourselves.

Tom states in his books and elsewhere that he was specifically intended to do the kind of things that he is doing 'this trip' as his books and otherwise making known the workings of reality and that the paradigm should be returned to Consciousness as the basis of reality. In addition, we have all sorts of miscellaneous scientists working towards that end, apparently based upon either just the way their research takes them or on the direct nudges that their individual guidance might be giving them.

Then we have the cultural aspects trending this way as in movies about VRs such as The Matrix. In additions and worldwide, we have a long history of individuals taking on special burdens or bringing special ideas into society. Just to name a few, the Buddha, the Christ, the Prophet Mohammad, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, etc. Persons at the right place at the right time with the right characteristics to have a major effect on the direction of society, whether politically or culturally or metaphysically.

So obviously the system does stick in its oar to correct course in PMR society. Exactly in what cases is this occurring, we can only speculate. There is no reason to think that the system only interferes religiously or philosophically and not politically as well.

The system demands nothing of individuals in terms of participating in any particular aspect of society. That is entirely a matter of individual path. The system works, as multiply stated by Tom and repeated by me, even for the clueless. The system is simply designed to work on full automatic pilot as inherent to the design of a PMR type VR. All it takes is the feedback loop of PMR interaction and the resulting feedback.

If you are going to 'wake up' however and learn from Tom just how the LCS creates our reality as a PMR type VR, then why stop and draw a line at metaphysics? If you are in fact awake, then you can hardly avoid noticing that there are many illusions going on, not just the Buddha's general statement as our world being Illusion. If there are those who would make use of you as puppets in a democracy illusion, why not understand that there are also those who provide a puppet show masquerading as a sports competition?

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am putting this forth not from conviction, but just curiosity.

One can become overly invested in deconstructing everything and slowly paint oneself into a nihilistic corner, where nothing has albeit delusional meaning, or joy.

There is also the thought that we are telling only half the story, and though there is technical truth in outing the negative aspect of things, where there is persistence of manifestation, there may be something deeper going on.

Maybe team sports are more about the shared experience of community, something for strangers to converse about; a healthy redirection of the primal impulse toward warriorship and and the impulse to make war against the neighbouring village; an important part of High School and College culture and motivation toward higher education; live sports are an excuse to get out of the house, as the fine Arts are for those with more developed right hemispheres, (as well as the creatively clueless social climbing pretenders), and we all need opportunities to get out of the house and interact; an opportunity to express admiration for and to honor excellence in tribal primordial warriorship, something that may have inserted itself into the genetic code as a survival mechanism;

on the other hand, and there is always an other hand with us dastardly economists, hero worship of sports stars is an unfortunate unprofitable redirection of ambition among many of the underclass or anyclass, same goes for the Arts as profession, as there is great visibility of the microscopic handful of the successfull, and great invisibility of the 99.9% of wannabes that did not work out, or who washed out after a few years of success. Or in my country, most famous sports starts, artists and performers die in poverty regardless.

this is where initiatives such as robotics competitions can be helpful in directing energy toward heroism in engineering for example. There needs to be an X factor for accounting!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 am 
Curator
Curator

This has nothing to do with nihilism. It has to do with, paraphrasing, knowing the truth and the truth setting you free. Many will prefer to remain in delusion and illusion. The warriors path/ path of knowledge brings responsibilities and burdens that the clueless are spared. But it also spares you from burdens of being suckered out of your money and effort in fixed games, whether athletic or political.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Indeed, I would say it is unprofitable to gamble on the wrong side of fixed arrangements if it is more than play/entertainment money.

My dad the cop told me about one experience he had early career, where his job was to watch over the betting tellers at a race track. He was pretty good at pattern recognition, so eventually he noticed the same group of insider guys coming in with bets just before the windows were closed, and they almost always were winning.

He checked, and it was not breaking any regs to place bets himself, so he started making the same bets of this group of guys, and he did very well with it till he was moved on to another posting.

With sports, I think you points are well stated, I just offer this other aspect to consider, which asking the question of why such things seem to bring people so much happiness.

I bring this up partially due to my own team's propensity to deconstruct and reject human phenomena, but increasingly, we are interested in the many harmless ways people figure out how to fill the time and experience innocent joy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Randy you make good points here. Sports are excellent, especially at the high school and college level. You learn many lessons and can learn how to be a part of a team. Brian's writing is trying to point out something completely different, and is focused solely on professional sports, and the illusion of integrity. His writing goes on to unveil the rampant drug use of the *professional* athletes, as well as criminal behavior that goes unreported and over looked to maintain the integrity of the leagues. Learning how to win and lose gracefully on your highschool football team is something completely different than a league housing known murderers , spousal abusers, and criminals of all sorts just because they can run and jump fast. Think of how many kids idolized Aaron Hernandez.

In fact, the leagues uses the mentality of "well I played football in highschool, and no one asked me to fix a game and there was no bounty on injuries so it can't be happening anywhere else."

Putting bounty's on star players happens, if someone gets a concussion from a dirty hit, and can't eat on their own for weeks and dies prematurely because of repeated brain trauma, then that is direct restriction of free will. The fact that leagues DON'T test for certain steroids or speed, and have massive loopholes in testing policies allow some humans to get unnaturally large and hit unnaturally hard. Do the Professional league's have the best interest in mind for their players or fans at this point? Is this really a "harmless way to experience innocent joy"??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well, its like with this cup of coffee the wife is making and is about to bring. I brought her tea earlier. I can get my knickers in a twist regarding how the coffee was made and who was exploited, or I can just sit and enjoy an innocent cup of coffee on a lovely morning, and try to figure out how to not get snippy with her today. Glass 1/3% empty, 99 2/3 % full.

anything and everything involving humans will involve inefficiencies at the primal, pragmatic and poetic levels. What is the point of hand wringing over things we can do nothing about? Where is the harm regarding harmless fun? All of life is somewhat delusional, no? I say pick your battles. Actually investing energy in making something more efficient, that's a different thing.

my mother has this innocent pleasure in following her hockey team. Who am I to try to take this away from her? I ask her about the last game, when is the next game, how they are doing. I encourage this interest, I encourage anyone in an innocent pleasure that fills their time, as I am mindful that the true psychological enemy is nihilism and deconstructing everything.

I think a lot of people make themselves unnecessarily unhappy by acquiring an unhealthy and pointless interest in the negative aspects of things.

I think Tom has the correct tack. All of this boils down to consciousness and the only way to invest in consciousness is to become a better person, and awake consciousness in others through your exceptional egolessnss.

being the guy that cleans up or calls the isolated relative to come and watch a game. Being aware of body language signals and asking a friend how they are really doing when alone in the kitchen, ferreting out that they have an important medical test coming up.

being an actual driver, and not a map (MBT) pusher, though maps have their place and time.

Thinking about the problems of public figures is a distraction from your very local, very intimate game, unless you are actually in a position to do something about these things. Mostly, these are guys just trying to do the best they can for as little effort as possible, as you or I, and they are damn good at it, it is irritating to our ego, as Tom would say, and twas ever thus, twill ever be. Nothing new or interesting going on here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When you get right down to it, there is nothing but consciousness and direction (by which I mean, the next 'place' toward which it is evolving). Learning to intelligently manage one's data streams, instead of having them simply 'happen to' you, is part of the process of the process of moving toward the next place, in certain ranges of evolution.

One can experience sporting events with any 'software' (perceptual framework) that s/he cares to. It's strictly a matter of style choice. You can experience the game as though it were real as presented. You can experience it as a staged event. You can experience the participation of the individuals, or simply admire their beauty and grace, or lack of it. You can experience it ....well you're getting the picture.

In general, in this world, perhaps nothing visible to our physical sensibilities is what it seems on the surface. This is also true for human interactions and relationships. There is a deeper order that is generally not revealed until after death.

JMO,
Montana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So what does this mean for the dollar and the world?

"China Sells U.S. Treasuries to Support Yuan

China has cut its holdings of U.S. Treasuries this month to raise dollars needed to support the yuan in the wake of a shock devaluation two weeks ago, according to people familiar with the matter.

Channels for such transactions include China selling directly, as well as through agents in Belgium and Switzerland, said one of the people, who declined to be identified as the information isn’t public. China has communicated with U.S. authorities about the sales, said another person. They didn’t reveal the size of the disposals.

The People’s Bank of China has been offloading dollars and buying yuan to support the exchange rate, a policy that’s contributed to a $315 billion drop in its foreign-exchange reserves over the last 12 months. The $3.65 trillion stockpile will fall by some $40 billion a month in the remainder of 2015 because of the intervention, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg survey.

China selling Treasuries is “not a surprise, but possibly something which people haven’t fully priced in,” said Owen Callan, a Dublin-based fixed-income strategist at Cantor Fitzgerald LP. “It would change the outlook on Treasuries quite a bit if you started to price in a fairly large liquidation of their reserves over the next six months or so as they manage the yuan to whatever level they have in mind.”
Gross’s Tweet

The PBOC and the U.S. Embassy in Beijing didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Bill Gross, who manages the $1.47 billion Janus Global Unconstrained Bond Fund, tweeted Wednesday “China selling long Treasuries ????”.

Two-year Treasuries erased an earlier advance, with their yield little changed at 0.67 percent as of 11 a.m. in London. It fell as much as two basis points. The 10-year yield declined three basis points to 2.15 percent, near to its average for the past month.

Chinese sales of U.S. government debt may have kept yields from falling this month as a selloff in global stocks prompted investors to favor the safest assets.
“By selling Treasuries to defend the renminbi, they’re preventing Treasury yields from going lower despite the fact that we’ve seen a sharp drop in the stock market,” David Woo, head of global rates and currencies research at Bank of America Corp., said on Bloomberg Television on Wednesday. “China has a direct impact on global markets through U.S. rates.”

China Holdings

The latest available Treasury data and estimates by strategists suggest that China controls $1.48 trillion of U.S. government debt, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That includes about $200 billion held through Belgium, which Nomura Holdings Inc. says is home to Chinese custodial accounts.
The PBOC has sold at least $106 billion of reserve assets in the last two weeks, including Treasuries, according to an estimate from Societe Generale SA. The figure was based on the bank’s calculation of how much liquidity will be added to China’s financial system through Tuesday’s reduction of interest rates and lenders’ reserve-requirement ratios. The assumption is that the central bank aims to replenish the funds it drained when it bought yuan to stabilize the currency.

The yuan rose 0.08 percent to 6.4053 per dollar on Thursday in Shanghai, trimming this month’s decline to 3.1 percent. Daily fluctuations have averaged less than 0.1 percent in the past two weeks as the PBOC intervened to bring stability following the Aug. 11 devaluation. The nation’s Treasury holdings will stop falling once the intervention stops and the currency is freely floating, said Steve Wang, chief China economist at Reorient Financial Markets Ltd. in Hong Kong.
“Strategically, it probably has been China’s intention to find the right time to lighten up its excessive accumulation of U.S. Treasuries,” he said."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... an-support

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100