Return Home
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Here´s an interesting article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4809873/

"We have shown that in all of us bread makes the gut wall more permeable, encouraging the migration of toxins and undigested food particles to sites where they can alert the immune system. We have shown that in all of us the digestion of grain and dairy generates opioid-like compounds, and that these cause mental derangement if they make it to the brain."

And another one that has a somewhat different, more limited view:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4760426/

"Whereas adverse reactions to wheat could be considered to be well understood only a decade ago, the landscape has since become immensely more complicated." ... "It is therefore an over‐reaction to assume that the health of more than a small proportion of the population will be improved by eliminating wheat or gluten from the diet. In fact, the opposite may occur as wheat is an important source of protein, B vitamins, minerals and bioactive components."

It is my personal experience that eating a gluten-free diet for about a month improves the functioning of the mind (perception and thinking become more clear). The fact that I was no longer exposed to gluten exorphins could be one explanation for this.

It is my professional experience that people with autism spectrum disorder and people with depression may show significant improvements after they stop eating gluten. There´s data in the medical literature about other psychiatric conditions that may show improvements as well.

I am sharing this for it might also help others here at MBT Forum.

Bruno

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No gluten, no dairy, no meat, no animal byproducts, no sugar, no starchy vegetables... Are we meant to subsist on tree nuts and legumes? To each their own. I haven't really dug into the paper deeply, but some of their claims seem very hypothetical, especially the body's natural dopamine/mu opioid receptor systems causing "mental derangement". I should like to see the criticism of this article, if there is any to be seen.

As an aside, does this really fall into the category of "physics"? I guess gastroenterology is applied biochemistry which is applied chemistry which is applied physics... but how far do we go with this? Psychology and social sciences as applied biochemistry?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:35 am 
Curator
Curator

Bruno,

I am just getting over, I hope, a couple of months or more in which I withdrew from taking gabapentin prescribed for neuropathy of diabetic origin and other origins, I believe, followed by reaction to MSG in Ramen noodles flavoring packets which apparently contain a lot of MSG of both direct and hidden form, placing me into a month or more of Chinese restaurant syndrome which I am still getting clear of. This has greatly interfered with my functioning.

As I think I remember, you are a physician but I don't have a clear memory of your posts in the past. There are too many board members for me to remember you all any more. Especially when I have been first going through a further development of my life long migraine equivalent problems followed by these new problems with medication reactions and then MSG reactions which is all basically neurological and within the VR brain. By the way, therapy with Butterbur and Riboflavin in large doses does in my case stop ME problems and the headaches that were added in within the past year or so. Recommended by a neurologist and I have also found papers on the NIH website.

I am being forced by my present living circumstances to stop my vegetarian diet and eat much of these things that are recommended against here, including meat again. Since I am a mechanical engineer, is it worth my reading these papers and getting into these questions when they are apparently conflicting?

Ted

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted,

Thank you for sharing that info. Yes, I am a physician. A child and adolescent psychiatrist from Brazil. I had been away from MBT Forum for some time.

The first article I posted was not a bad read to me. If you do have time and interest to read it, please share your opinion of it. However, I can´t say if it´d be worth it for you to delve into the medical literature of that specific subject. I posted the second article just to leave it clear that that subject is not settled by the scientific community, even though I myself regard the data that I have about the effects of gluten and the like as very useful knowledge.

If one can have a healthy gluten and casein free diet, it would be probably helpful to that person in my opinion.

It is my wish that your health be as good as possible.

Bruno

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm 
Curator
Curator

Bruno,

I did not attempt to read all of those articles. Let me point out to you how MSG shows up for many people as a major cause of gastro enteral problems and this is aided by the actions of the FDA which requires each version of a high MSG containing compound to have a separate name but not necessarily to have a have any notice of its MSG content. This makes it very difficult to avoid MSG for those who have problems with it. Basically this is the 'Chinese restaurant syndrome' but it is much more of a problem than its reputation would say.

I would also point out to you that 'food sensitivity testing' which 30 odd years ago was common and I found it of great value to stopping food problems by knowing what to not eat, went out of fashion and was banned for a while. It is now apparently available again and findable by search on the Internet. I'm not sure if it differs much from 30 years ago but then it was of very great value to me and my family. There are apparently many kinds of food problems among the population and mental effects are as likely or more likely as anything. In your field, I think that it would be of value to be aware of and worth checking out for your patients. My children and I as a child had food problems with mental effects producing problems thinking clearly so I would encourage you to keep this in mind for your patients as a potential cause of most any kind of mental problem you are likely to encounter.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you, Ted.
My children and I as a child had food problems with mental effects producing problems thinking clearly so I would encourage you to keep this in mind for your patients as a potential cause of most any kind of mental problem you are likely to encounter.
I will.