Introverted Feeling = ego?

Grave

Introverted Feeling = ego?

Post by Grave »

I was wondering if Introverted Feeling (Jungian Cognitive Function) is in any way related to higher entropy, or big ego. Actually, I've been wondering about the connections of personality and quality of consciousness--are some personalities the results of a better quality of consciousness? However, the reason I wonder about Introverted Feelers, being one myself, is that Introverted Feelings are feelings more directed to the self and from the self. Extroverted feeling, feelings in tuned with others, seems a little closer to being love, and probably being the result of a better quality of consciousness. I am an INFP and it seems that we have a difficult time overcoming our subjective views; we usually think in "I this", or "I that". We also have a strong belief system, as part of the Fi(introverted feeling) package that makes us attached to things. Living without some sort of personal, deeply felt, belief is hard, and every time I try to get rid of this attachment, I find myself falling to another "belief trap". I'm unsure as to whether fight this urge to look at things subjectively, which seems impossible to overcome, or to continue this way. A deep caring for others is hard for me, but instead I just have a deep understanding of what they're going through. I'm not sure if this understanding is enough to help them get through their suffering but I try. I'm pretty sure that with enough persistent one can get over this sort of thinking. I just want to know if I chose to be this way to learn some sort of lesson, in which case, it would be best to just accept my position, or if this is the result of a lower quality of consciousness that I need to grow out of?
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Re: Introverted Feeling = ego?

Post by Ted Vollers »

Tom has mentioned this Myers-Briggs (see also the MBTI instrument, David Keirsey or Jungian personality types) personality typing himself before on the board, stating that he is an INTP http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html, commonly referred to as an engineer, architect or analyst because of their propensity for such approaches and well known INTPs included Einstein, Darwin and Jung himself. I test as an INFJ http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html, commonly referred to as counselors, protectors or mystics and include the following well known persons as Robert Burns, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King.

You self report the INFP type. Commonly referred to as idealists, healers or dreamers. Well known persons said to fit this type include John Milton, Kierkegaard and even attributed to Jesus. http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html From the description on this link:
The Idealist

As an INFP, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your personal value system. Your secondary mode is external, where you take things in primarily via your intuition.

INFPs, more than other iNtuitive Feeling types, are focused on making the world a better place for people. Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. What is their purpose? How can they best serve humanity in their lives? They are idealists and perfectionists, who drive themselves hard in their quest for achieving the goals they have identified for themselves

INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.

Generally thoughtful and considerate, INFPs are good listeners and put people at ease. Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. This sincerity is sensed by others, making the INFP a valued friend and confidante. An INFP can be quite warm with people he or she knows well.
There are many other discussions and descriptions of all of these personality types besides the ones listed, including on Wikipedia. You might do some searching, both on the board and the Internet to find further discussion of these types and your specific type. I suggest that you look more deeply into understanding just what is meant by these descriptions. Tom has not said, but I think that it is likely, that these personality types come to us from our IUOC itself. I do not think that you need to do the kind of analysis that you are doing. Your concerns as stated do not seem to fit the personality type that you test as but stem from an associated perfectionism. What matters is that we interact with proper concerns for the free wills of others as a basic principle, which test you do not seem to fail.

Ted
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bette »

Hi Grave and welcome to Tom's MBT discussion forums. I would say it sounds like you have empathy which is a good quality. I would suggest not to get too locked into any of these "types" things as they are simply patterns that have been noticed. There are probably as many more patterns that have not been noticed yet. Welcome again.
Love to you and yours,
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bette »

This showed up in my facebook feed and seems too co-incidental to not post here for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Intro ... 7074-LVIIL

It's a link to a searchable book about introverts from Amazon.
Love
bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.
Grave

Post by Grave »

Hi Bette

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice. I'll keep myself unattached, but I notice these patterns in myself, and I usually relate it back to the INFP type. I guess it's hard to see myself as I really am, ego and all, and not want to change that.

I'll make sure to look into book you've recommended. Thanks for your advice guys I appreciate the guidance this forum provides!
bette
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bette »

Grave wrote:Hi Bette

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice. I'll keep myself unattached, but I notice these patterns in myself, and I usually relate it back to the INFP type. I guess it's hard to see myself as I really am, ego and all, and not want to change that.

I'll make sure to look into book you've recommended. Thanks for your advice guys I appreciate the guidance this forum provides!
Cool and you're welcome. The book just appeared in a timely manner, I haven't vetted it at all. Just fyi.
Love
Bette
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.

Return to “Ego and Fear”