MBT Question and Answer website

Tom is participating with oversight if not actively. You might find a role in which you can contribute yourself. (Help Wanted)
William12
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: MBT Question and Answer website

Post by William12 »

Ted Vollers wrote:William,

Did you see the following post in the thread discussing that abandoned mod for tagging:
Re: [Beta] Topic Tagging System 1.0.0

Postby madd74 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:26 pm
I am very looking forward to this MOD. I was following the other one and noticed it was here. have you been to the tech support guy forum? They use bulletin and have a tag system there that I very much like, and wondered if this was similar to that one?
They (tech support guy forum) are findable on a search but I see no indication of what software their BB runs. The implication to me is that it is phpBB with the reference to "They use bulletin". I was wondering if this tagging system referred to in red could be available? Then there is the question of what was he talking about in blue? I get the implication that there is in fact another tagging system mod out there, based on this comment.
The last link has an option for a free trial, but only for 72 hours. I gather that you can reregister and extend this tryout. I would have to look at some of the listed user sites to get an idea what it can do. It is not fantastically expensive, although I have not seen their charges structure to see if there is an ongoing license and perhaps volume charges or just the initial $400. Not a fantastic amount of money.
Actually, I'm not sure how and if a tagging system would do anything for us, at least in terms of what I am really looking for. I am trying to figure out how to enhance understanding, not just make phrases more findable.
Ted
I could not figure that out either. I wrote it off as someone not sure what they talking about or asking about.
VR makes my brain Hertz
daveh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by daveh »

Ted Vollers wrote:Dave,

That seems to just be a list sharing service, fundamentally, a BB. I don't understand how it would work as a development tool.

How about this as a development tool? http://www.aptana.com/ But then we are not talking a developer type project.

Ted
It's not a developer tool but a collaboration aid - a to-do list app with some useful bells and whistles. When you create an item you can click through to add attachments and also discuss items. I have a list that I am using to brainstorm the new MBT system - I'll see if it's possible to share a link to it.

*edit: umm, see if this link does anything... https://trello.com/b/DAMoU1hn/my-big-toe-media-timeline

It's ideal for the ideas that we are discussing here and if I 'invite' you then we will get the ability to attach larger files.

I've used aptana studio briefly, but I tend to use Eclipse as my ide because it doesn't need installing and is easily portable. Both pretty much the same though.
William12
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by William12 »

daveh wrote:
Ted Vollers wrote:Dave,

That seems to just be a list sharing service, fundamentally, a BB. I don't understand how it would work as a development tool.

How about this as a development tool? http://www.aptana.com/ But then we are not talking a developer type project.

Ted
It's not a developer tool but a collaboration aid - a to-do list app with some useful bells and whistles. When you create an item you can click through to add attachments and also discuss items. I have a list that I am using to brainstorm the new MBT system - I'll see if it's possible to share a link to it.

*edit: umm, see if this link does anything... https://trello.com/b/DAMoU1hn/my-big-toe-media-timeline

It's ideal for the ideas that we are discussing here and if I 'invite' you then we will get the ability to attach larger files.

I've used aptana studio briefly, but I tend to use Eclipse as my ide because it doesn't need installing and is easily portable. Both pretty much the same though.
I will PM you with my email. Lets kick the tires on it to see how it plays out as a colab tool.
VR makes my brain Hertz
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

I take it that no progress was made over the weekend towards consensus since I heard nothing nor see any change on the board.

I restructured the Forum on Principles to use more sub fora to do the organizing and not require this change. I can see a way to do the same, in part, on the Forum for Tom's videos but not to get all of the results that I want.

If we can't work this out or decide to not do so, I can probably figure out other ways to do the job by creating more categories and sub forums. I figure out with time how to do more with the existing structure and to probably do without this Mod.

Ted
daveh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by daveh »

Ted Vollers wrote:I take it that no progress was made over the weekend towards consensus since I heard nothing nor see any change on the board.
Ted
I've not heard from or discussed anything with anybody at this end. Last I heard was that Shawn was going to set up a staging site to enable mods to be tested.
William12
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by William12 »

daveh wrote:
Ted Vollers wrote:I take it that no progress was made over the weekend towards consensus since I heard nothing nor see any change on the board.
Ted
I've not heard from or discussed anything with anybody at this end. Last I heard was that Shawn was going to set up a staging site to enable mods to be tested.
I was expecting to hear back from Shawn on the test site URL so Ted could check the mod out. I will ping Shawn to see if he ran into any issues or needs assistance or just more time.
VR makes my brain Hertz

Return to “Projects in development with Tom's blessing.”